Purchasing a rowing machine could be one of the best decisions you make – or a complete disaster. It all depends on how you walk through the process. And to make the right decision, you need to know what you are looking for. Before you look for or into any rower, you need to be certain that it would come in handy depending on your exact use for it. To get fit and into shape you will need to use it at least four times a week so if you don’t enjoy the action of a rower you won’t use it. If you have used one in a gym and like the action then yes it’s probably a good buy.
List of The 5 Best Rowing Machines Under $500
But remember, the rowing machine in the gym will be a top commercial model and if your budget is limited it won’t feel as smooth or be as easy to use. Therefore before purchasing a rowing machine, you need to ask yourself these questions;
- Do you like the rowing action?
- How much can you afford to spend?
- Do you have the space? (consider folding models if this is limited)
- How often do you think you’ll use it?
If you are sure you’ll use it and are motivated to get fit and into shape then a rowing machine can be an excellent and safe way to do so. If you have a good technique the changes of injury are very small indeed. Next you need to decide how much you’re prepared to spend on a rower. You can spend anything from around a hundred dollars to well over a thousand, so you can imagine there is quite a difference in quality and features. Budget models can represent false economy if you get a machine that is difficult to use or doesn’t deliver the workout you need.
Then you need to know if the machine will fit your room, support your weight, be long enough for your legs, and won’t annoy the neighbors. The last decision you will need to make it what type of rowing machine will best suit your needs. The type relates to the braking mechanism used to provide the resistance.
- Air rowing machines
- Hydraulic rowers
- Magnetic rowing machines
- Water rowers.
5 Best Rowing Machines Under $500 Reviews By Consumer Reports.
2. Sunny Health & Fitness Magnetic Rowing Machine with LCD Monitor by SF-RW5515
- Digital Monitor – The large LCD console displays time, count, calories, total count, Scan. The convenient scan mode displays your progress to assist you in tracking all your fitness goals
- Foam Grip Handlebars- Help prevent calluses with the improved Sunny
- Health & Fitness Handle Bars. Non-Slip foam grip handlebars offer comfort while enduring those long rides. Slide rail inseam: 44 inch
- Non-slip foot pedals: Textured non-slip foot pedals will ensure safe footing during the most demanding and vigorous workouts! Foot straps keep your feet saddled in so you can focus on the workout without feeling unbalanced
- Transportation Wheels – Built in transportation wheels for easy portability. Simply tilt and roll out for use or away for storage, no need for heavy lifting or muscle strain. Folded Dimensions: 37L X 19W X 53. 5H inches
- Adjustable Resistance: With a simple twist, you can increase or decrease resistance, so your workout can remain challenging and effective throughout your fitness journey. 8 Resistance levels
If you are looking to get into shape, this is the top of the line product. The Sunny Health & Fitness SF-RW5515 Magnetic Rowing Machine has a newly improved smoother and quieter magnetic tension system with 8 levels of adjustable tension, convenient large LCD console, fully padded seat, larger anti-slip foot pedals and built-on transportation wheels, the Sunny Health & Fitness SF-RW5515 Magnetic Rowing Machine is designed for convenience while also providing the challenging feel of an outdoor rowing.
2. Stamina Body Trac Glider 1050 Rowing Machine
Full-motion arms on the Stamina BodyTrac Glider simulate the feel of rowing on actual water. The unique design allows for a full-body, effective workout for every major muscle group – including back, legs, arms, abs and glutes. Rowing is also widely known to aid in improving cardiovascular health and burning calories. You can stay focused during exercise with an easy-to-read LCD monitor and see your workout time, stroke count, calories burned and total strokes accumulated. When you want to increase or decrease the intensity of your stroke, simply adjust the hydraulic cylinder.
- Unique, full-range-of-motion rowing mimics being on the water
- Multi-function electronic monitor to keep you motivated
- Comfortable molded seat
- Adjustable, hydraulic cylinder resistance for a smooth rowing stroke
- Foldable arms for compact storage
- Textured footplates with straps to keep your feet secure
- Foam padded hand grips for comfort
- Sturdy, steel frame construction.
For extra support and stability, the BodyTrac Glider moves along a smooth ball-bearing roller system and includes features to enhance your comfort, including textured foot plates with straps, a molded seat and padded hand grips. Fold the arms after you’ve completed your workout for an easy way to save space.
3. Fitness Reality 1000 Plus Bluetooth Magnetic Rower Rowing Machine with Extended Optional Full Body Exercises and Free App
- Additional Exercises: full body low impact workout targets forearms, biceps, triceps, shoulders, legs, thighs and more with additional exercises. Slide rail length/inseam: 39”. Patent Pending front stabilizer foot pads allows for additional exercises such as curls, upright rows, bent over rows, front raises, shrugs, triceps extensions, standing shoulder presses and more.
- Weight Capacity: 250 lbs
- Smart Cloud Fitness: The ONLY BLUETOOTH ROWER on the market.
- Bluetooth Smart Fitness with free MyCloudFitness app available on iOS and Android for tracking your workout results. 3 Workout goal settings via app: time, distance and calories burned
- Extra Wide Handlebar/14 Level Tension: 21.5” EXTRA WIDE GRIP foam handlebar provides comfortable grips for different workout exercises. 14
- Level DUAL TRANSMISSION magnetic tension resistance for an easy or more challenging workout
- Large Seat: Large 3.5” LCD displays distance, time, total count, calories burned, stokes/min and scan. Comfortable large contoured cushion seat (13.5”L x 11”W). User height: 4’9”~6’6”. Folds for storage. Folded size:39.5”L x 21.5”W x 53.5”H\
If you are among those who enjoy your workout without leaving your home, this is for you. It has a large 3.5” LCD display, 14 levels of magnetic resistance, and a large cushioned seat will keep you comfortable throughout your workout sessions. In addition, front stabilizer foot pads allows for additional exercises such as curls, bent over rows, front raises, and more. With the free MyCloudFitness app you have the ability to set workout goals, track your workouts, and more. So train hard and get the results you want with the FITNESS REALITY 1000 PLUS Bluetooth Magnetic Rower.
4. XTERRA Fitness ERG600W Water Rower
This machine generates a smooth and uniform stroke with the durable XTERRA multi-bladed impeller. Impellers active motion through the water tank creates the similar peaceful sounds to actually rowing on the water. It has a raised seat height (13.5″ high) gets you on and off the rower with ease. It has a large contoured seat maximizes comfort and performance
6 resistance levels – determined by the amount of water used in the tank (check water level guide on tank for resistance level). Large 5.5″ LCD Console features an easy height and angle adjustment for the perfect viewing angle. Motivating display shows all your important information.
- Impellers active motion through the water tank creates the similar peaceful sounds to actually rowing on the water
- Large 5.5″ LCD Console features an easy height and angle adjustment for the perfect viewing angle
- 6 resistance levels – determined by the amount of water used in the tank (check water level guide on tank for resistance level)
- Raised seat height (13.5″ high) gets you on and off the rower with ease
- Large contoured seat maximizes comfort and performance
If you are looking for a smooth rowing motion is delivered through a solid steel frame with dual aluminium slide rails, this is for you. The flex Pedals are easy to adjust (numbered size settings) with large Velcro straps and they flex with your every movement. The ergonomic rowing handle is contoured and padded for maximum comfort. Each water tank is pressure tested for long lasting performance. Fold up frame design takes up less space when not in use It includes 2 AA batteries to power the console display.
5. Stamina 35-1402 ATS Air Rower
Bring the unparalleled full-body workout of on-the-water rowing home with the premium design and feel of this machine. The full body rhythmic nature of rowing makes it wonderfully efficient at burning calories while also developing flexibility and strength. Plus, the “zen-like” water movement you hear from the Stamina multi-bladed impeller can be soothing and meditative.
- Wind resistance-provides efficient, smooth rowing stroke; Multi-function electronic performance monitor-displays strokes per minute, total strokes, distance, speed, time, and calories burned.
- Sliding seat-padded and upholstered for comfort; engineered to slide easily; Large foot plates-accommodate any size user; Adjustable nylon foot straps-hold feet securely in place; Over-sized aluminum seat rail-supports smooth-sliding seat
- Sturdy steel construction-built to last; Textured grips-keep hands stable & comfortable while rowing; Built-in wheels-ensure easy portability;
- Foldable frame-makes storage simpler
- Nylon rowing strap-chosen for strength; Floor protectors-safeguard your workout area & prevent skidding
- Angled seat rail-enables easy seat return
Time and again, rowing has proven to be an effective full-body, cardiovascular workout. The Stamina 1402 ATS Air Rower is the ideal rowing solution. Dynamic wind resistance makes it easy to adjust your workout. For more resistance, pull harder. Ease off for less. Track your metrics with the included workout monitor, and stay comfortable with the oversized, textured footplates and foam padded handlebars. The 1402 ATS Air Rower will help you attain the physique you desire.